Chocolates. Flowers. Jewellery. These classic Valentine’s Day gifts will never go out of fashion, but there are some definite trends away from the traditional gifts when it comes to retail spending on this most heartfelt occasion.
In fact, the biggest trend on Valentine’s Day retail is not about romance at all. These days, consumers are using the holiday as an opportunity to share their affection for many different people in their lives, including close family members, friends, co-workers, pets and (most importantly) themselves. Savvy retailers can take advantage of this trend by offering products suitable for a wide range of recipients and creating in-store displays and promotions that celebrate love in all its incarnations.
Valentine’s Day Gifts for Friends
Palentine’s/Galentine’s Day is officially a thing, and along with planning casual gatherings with friends for February 14th, consumers are on the lookout for cards and gifts that express friendship and non-romantic love. Casual and fun tokens for women feature inspirational quotes, feminist sentiments and light-hearted “fries before guys” humour. Party invitations, decorations and supplies are another way to support friendship events over Valentine’s Day.
Be Your Own Valentine
Be your own Valentine on Valentine’s Day. Bath and beauty items, stationery, cards and notebooks are little ways individuals can indulge themselves which encourages time for self-care.
Pets are a growing market for Valentine’s Day, and products that let pet owners show their love to their four-legged companions are going to do well. Heart-shaped toys, faux-chocolate treats and pink/red clothes and accessories will do well, along with animal-adorned photo frames, jewellery and other items for humans who love pets.
Romantic Gift Trends
Romantic gifts are still hugely popular, but more than ever, couples are looking for activities they can do together as opposed to (or in addition to) material gifts. Items that encourage together time are a great way to tap into this stream. Think games, making kits and a date-in-a-box gifts.
While couples cooking and wine-tasting events are fairly common, couple crafting events are showing up more frequently. Painting, candle making, scrapbook albums with romantic twist—these are all projects couples will enjoy doing together. Just add sweet treats and a glass of wine to make it a truly romantic night!
One of the biggest trends we’re seeing is in keeping with the current popularity of personalisation. Couples love to see their unique love story portrayed in a variety of ways, such as keepsakes that show off important milestones in the relationship.
Love Your Customers
Show your customers how much you appreciate them on Valentine’s Day with these helpful ideas:
- Let customers know you’re ready for Valentine’s Day with a festive front window display. Make it even more fun for customers by letting them make their own love-filled additions.
- Have gift guides available on your website and share them via social media and in your shop to inspire customers to visit.
- Create in-store displays with signage that guides shoppers to targeted products.
- Offer inexpensive token gifts near the till, such as chocolates, tags, postcards, or temporary tattoos, where last-minute and impulse buyers can take advantage of them.
- Be prepared for last-minute shoppers with ready-to-go gifts.
- Offer gift-wrapping—even small gifts make a big impact with a pretty bow.
- Show your customer appreciation with special discounts or an in-store treat for shoppers.