Die Cutting 101
What is die-cutting?
Die-cutting is like using a cookie cutter. A hand-operated, die-cutting machine uses steel rule die shapes to cut through a wide range of materials quickly and easily.
What materials can I die-cut?
Ellisonand Sizzix brand machines can die-cut, emboss and texturize many materials including:
- Construction paper
- Faux fur
- Heat and shrink plastic
- Paper wood
- Poly foam
- Self-adhesive rubber (for making rubber stamps)
- Sheet magnet
- Static cling vinyl
- Thin metal
What makes die-cutting better than scissors?
The use of scissors takes time and patience. However, die-cutting transforms the tedious task of cutting numerous letters and shapes into a fast, fun and easy endeavor - replicating the same perfect shape over and over again.
How do I get started?
It's simple. Learn how to use Ellison machines or learn about the Sizzix machines.
What projects can I create using die-cuts?
Using Ellison and Sizzix brand products leads to endless forms of creative expression.
- Curriculum tools
- Digital scrapbook embellishments
- Fashion designs and accessories
- Home décor and party decorations
- Scrapbooks and personal keepsakes
- Stationery, greeting cards and invitations
- Visual classroom environment